Monday, November 21, 2011

Carried

My mom's boss and one of the men I most respect and admire in the world wrote on my Facebook wall today. The first phrase that he wrote has been sticking in my mind all day: "May the Hand of God carry you all the day long."

What rest. What peace. To me, that phrase sounds like the epitome of what it means to be cherished, to be loved. And right now, that sounds so good it brings tears to my eyes.

I have allowed myself to be busy, to rush, to worry. I have placed things in my own hands instead of leaving them in God's. I have hurried from moment to moment, planning and fretting and figuring. I have lived and lived and worked and worked and rushed and worried. Thankfully, God has hushed me to remind me of the truth.

I learned this summer that I want God's will more than I want anything else in my life. And that still holds true. But a lot of times in the hustle and bustle of every day living, I jump ahead of where God has called me now, in this moment, to the problems I foresee in the future - problems that, when I get to them, may not even exist any more. This way of living is just exhausting. In the last few weeks, I have been able to slow down a little (work was calmer, I wasn't traveling), and God has been reminding me of some things.

First of all, I am His. Above every other "title" that the world has given me (or perhaps that I have given to myself), that one, of belonging to Him, is the most important one, and really the only one that counts.

Secondly, I run myself ragged trying to be responsible and do what I think needs to be done, and God stands there with His hand outstretched, shaking His head, perhaps smiling a little at my foolishness. But He always snatches me back, stops me in my tracks. I am Martha, so often, trying to fix everything before it can go wrong, trying to be God for various people and circumstances and occasions. And God constantly has to say to me what He said to her - "Sara Beth, Sara Beth, you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one." Then He continues, "Come, choose what is better. Give Me these foolish things that burden you, and I will give you rest. I am the potter, and you are the clay."

What abundant life! What joy and rest and peace and freedom! I can rest and let my Father do His will.

So may the hand of God carry you all the day long.

1 comment: